The clamp-on ground testing technique used by the Fluke 1630 simplifies ground loop testing and enables non-intrusive leakage current measurement. The compact and rugged design makes the Fluke 1630 easy to use in small places and harsh environments, while the ‘display hold’ and the continuity testing with an audible alarm function ensures convenience in use. The novel technique means that earth ground loop testing and continuity testing can be completed without breaking the circuit.
Stakeless testing system
The Fluke 1630 uses the Stakeless testing method, which eliminates the need to disconnect parallel ground rods and find suitable locations for placing auxiliary ground stakes. This saves time and enables users such as industrial and utility electricians, and field service electricians and contractors, to perform earth ground loop tests in locations where it is not possible to use other techniques, including inside buildings or on power pylons. With the Stakeless testing method, earth ground stakes are no longer necessary. The Fluke 1630 Earth Ground Clamp is placed around the earth ground rod or the connecting cable. A known voltage is induced by one half of the clamp and the current is measured by the other half. The tester automatically determines the ground loop resistance at this grounding connection.
- A wide ground loop resistance range, from 0.025 Ω to1500 Ω, to satisfy all requirements
- Large jaw opening of 35 mm (1.38 in) for tests on ground conductors and/or equipotential bus bars
- Measurement of ground leakage current, from 0.2 mA to 1000 mA, without needing to disconnect - ideal for system troubleshooting
- Wide AC current measurement range from 0.2 A to 30 A allows one instrument for multiple applications
- User-defined HI / LO Alarm limits, for rapid measurement evaluation
- Handy ‘display hold’ button for capturing readings in hard-to-reach places
- Time saving memory function automatically records and stores measured values
- Automatic self calibration ensures correct measurement every time
- Overload protection: 200 A
- Carrying case and resistance test loop included
- ≥ 8 hours battery life (continuous operation)
General Specifications Operating error Refers to the operating temperature range and is guaranteed for 2 years Storage temp. range -20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F) Reference temp. range 23°C ±5°C (73°F ±9°F) Storage humidity < 75% Rh Operating humidity < 85% Rh Display 999 digital LC display with special symbols Protection IP30 according to IEC 529/EN 60529 Safety 300 V, CAT III pollution degree 2 IEC 61010-1 and IEC 61010-2-032 Weight 750 g (1.165 lbs) Conductor size 35 mm (1.38 in) approximately Dimension (L x W x D) 276 x 100 x 47 mm (10.8 x 3.9 x 1.9 in) Emission IEC 1000 4-2, IEC 61326-I class B Immunity IEC 61000-4-2, 8 kV (air) criteria A IEC 61000-4-3, 3 V/m performance criteria A Range selection Auto Overload indicator "OL" on display Measuring time 0.5 sec Measuring frequency 3.333 kHz Battery type 9 V alkaline (type IEC 6 LR 61) Battery life ≥ 8 hours (continuous operation) Power consumption 40 mA Low battery indication Display symbol Ground Loop Resistance (Autorange) Range Accuracy
(±% of reading Ω)
0.025 - 0.250 Ω ±1.5% rdg ±0.02 Ω 0.250 - 9.999 Ω ±1.5% rdg ±0.05 Ω 10.00 - 99.99 Ω ±2.0% rdg ±0.3 Ω 100.0 - 199.9 Ω ±3.0% rdg ±1.0 Ω 200.0 - 400.0 Ω ±5.0% rdg ±5 Ω 400.0 - 600.0 Ω ±10% rdg ±10 Ω 600.0 - 1500 Ω ±20% Loop resistance with no inductance, external magnetic field < 50A/m, external electrical field < 1 V/m, conductor centered.
Model Name Description Fluke 1630 Fluke 1630 Earth Ground Clamp Meter
- Rugged carrying case with shoulder strap
- Resistance test loop
- 9 V battery
- User's manual