Keeping your world up and running.®

Reading subcooling

By Joe Lamere

April 2007

I do a lot of new residential houses. With the r-410a refrigerant, you have to use sub cooling for your charge to be correct. So - this isn't a tip, but what I use to get the job done right. I use a Fluke 16 DMM, with a Fluke 80TK Thermocouple module and a Fluke 80PK-8 Pipe Clamp Probe. This is a temperature pipe clamp that you clamp onto the liquid line and with your gauges right there in front of you, you can get the sub cooling done rather quickly. To finish the job I use my Fluke 62 mini IR thermometer to check my supply and return temps. It is a great joy to work with these tools as they are the best in the field that I have used and not the most expensive to keep in your tool pouch.